Deputy Attorney General James Cole was confirmed on June 28, 2011. A hearing to consider the nomination was held on June 15, 2010. An archived webcast is available. On July 20, 2010, the Judiciary Committee reported the nomination to the Senate. On December 22, 2010, the nomination was returned to the President under the provisions of Senate Rule XXXI, paragraph 6 of the Standing Rules of the Senate. On January 3, 2011, James Cole was sworn in as the Deputy Attorney General after receiving a recess appointment from President Obama. On January 5, 2011, President Obama nominated James Cole to be the Deputy Attorney General. The nomination was reported by the Committee on March 17, 2011.
A transcript of the hearing, including the Committee Questionnaire, responses to questions submitted for the record, and letters received in connection with the nomination, is available through the Government Printing Office.
- June 14, 2010 - Ronald K. Noble, Secretary General, Interpol
- June 14, 2010 - Joint Letter [Rory K. Little, U.C. Hastings College of the Law; Bruce A. Green, Fordham University School of Law; Ronald Goldstock, Cornell, Columbia, and NYIU Law School; Charles J. Ogletree, Harvard Law School; Myrna S. Raeder, Southwestern Law School; Andrew Taslitz, Howard University School of Law; Ellen Yaroshefsky, Cardozo University]
- June 14, 2010 - American Bar Association Criminal Justice Section [Bruce A. Green, Chair Elect; Charles Joseph Hynes, Chair; Anthony Joseph; Stephen A. Salzburg; Robert Johnson; Michael S. Pasano; Catherine Anderson; Albert Kreiger; Ronald C. Smith; Ralph C. Martin II; Bruce Lyons; Myrna S. Raeder; Ronald Goldstock; William W. Taylor III]
- June 13, 2010 - Steve Ross, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- June 11, 2010 - John F. Wood, Hughes Hubbard
- June 11, 2010 - Jack Selden, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings
- June 10, 2010 - Harry Rosenberg, Phelps Dunbar LLP
- June 8, 2010 - Michael Madigan, Orrick
- June 8, 2010 - William H. Jeffress, Jr., Baker Botts
- June 8, 2010 - Joint Letter [Martin Marcus, Chair, Criminal Justice Standards Committee, American Bar Association; Mark Dwyer; Nancy King; Robert McWhirter; Cheryl Jacobs; Albert Kreiger; Peter Pope; John Wesley Hall; Matthew Redle; Margaret Colgate Love]
- June 7, 2010 - Michael E. Toner, Bryan Cave LLP
- June 7, 2010 - Chuck Rosenberg, Hogan Lovells
- June 7, 2010 - National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and National District Attorneys Association
- June 7, 2010 - Jack Oliver, Bryan Cave LLP
- June 7, 2010 - Jamie S. Gorelick, WilmerHale
- June 7, 2010 - W. Stephen Cannon, Constantine Cannon
- June 4, 2010 - Joe D. Whitley, Greenberg Traurig
- June 4, 2010 - Roscoe Howard, Andrews Kurth Attorneys LLP
- June 1, 2010 - John Danforth, Bryan Cave LLP
David W. Ogden confirmation materials are available here.