Assistant Attorney General Christine Varney was confirmed on April 20, 2009. A hearing to consider the nomination was held on March 10, 2009. An archived webcast is available. On March 26, 2009, the Judiciary Committee ordered the nomination reported to the Senate for consideration.
A transcript of the hearing, including the Committee Questionnaire, responses to questions submitted for the record, and letters received in connection with the nomination, is available through the Government Printing Office. Attachments to the Committee Questionnaire are available upon request.
Letters Received in Connection with the Nomination
- March 9, 2009 - Charles F. Rule, Cadwalader; former Assistant Attorney General, Antitrust Division
- March 6, 2009 - Joe Sims, Jones Day; former Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Antitrust Division
- March 5, 2009 - Timothy Muris, former Chairman, Federal Trade Commission, and Robert Pitofsky, former Chairman, Federal Trade Commission
- March 5, 2009 - Thomas B. Leary, Hogan & Hartson; former Federal Trade Commissioner
- March 4, 2009 - John H. Shenefield, Counsel, Morgan Lewis; James F. Rill, Partner, Howrey LLP
- March 4, 2009 - National Rural Health Association
- March 4, 2009 - Janet McDavid, Partner, Hogan & Hartson, former Chair, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law
- March 4, 2009 - Joel I. Klein, Chancellor, The New York City Department of Education
- March 4, 2009 - William J. Baer, Arnold & Porter LLP
- March 3, 2009 - Richard Parker, O'Melveny & Myers LLP; former Director, Bureau of Competition, Federal Trade Commission
- March 3, 2009 - A. Douglas Melamed, WilmerHale; former Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Antitrust Division
- February 19, 2009 - Former Chairs of the American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law [Joseph Angland, White & Case LLP; John DeQ. BRiggs, Axinn, Veltrop & Harkrider LLP; Roxane C. Busey, Baker & McKenzie; Michael L. Denger, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP; Ky P. Ewing, Jr., Retired; Kathryn M. Fenton, Jones Day; Kevin E. Grady, Retired; Caswell O. Hobbs, Potomac River Associates; Robert T. Joseph, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP; Donald C. Klawiter, Mayer Brown LLP; James R. Loftis III, Retired; Janet L. MCDavid, Hogan & Hartson LLP; Phillip A. Proger, Jones Day; Harry M. Reasoner, Vinson & Elkins LLP; James F. Rill, Howrey LLP; Irving Scher, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP; Alan H. Silberman, Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal LLP; Robert P. Taylor, Mintz Levin Cohn Ferris Glovsky and Popeo P.C.; Richard J. Wallis, Microsoft Corporation; Robert C. Weinbaum, Retired]